Our mission is to serve children,
their families and the school community
by promoting psychological well-being,
excellence in education, and sensitivity
to diversity through best practices
in school psychology.

To become a school psychologist, you will need to complete a graduate school program that awards a degree (Master's, Specialist, and/or Doctorate) specifically in school psychology.

To enroll in graduate studies, you will need to have your Bachelor's degree and any undergraduate prerequisites required by the program(s) of your choice. School psychology training programs include both academic courses and supervised fieldwork to prepare you in both professional knowledge and skills.

Stacks Image 147
In New York the State Education Department Office of Teaching handles certification. The NY requirements include a number of "pathways". A list of training programs is available for download.

Certification - New York certifies school psychologists through the State Education Department. You should be able to find all the answers about certification from the State Education Department's Office of Teaching Initiatives.

Licensure - Licensure for certified school psychologists does not currently exist, however bills have been introduced. For information about licensure for the general practice of psychology visit the Office of the Professions.

Internships - Graduate students in school psychology are often looking for internship placements. Internships are controlled at the local level by individual school districts in New York State, or the Department of Education in New York City. Graduate students are urged to contact individual districts directly regarding the availability of internship placements and the conditions of the internship. Most school district information can be located through a search online.